Professional Advice When Prepping for Gastro Intestinal Procedures
There is a wide range of tests and procedures that your gastro specialist can recommend. However, the most common gastro intestinal procedures are colonoscopy and endoscopy. So, today, we choose to focus on the two procedures.
These two procedure require the insertion of a tube-like apparatus with a camera attached to it. During endoscopy procedures, the gastroenterology physicians insert the tube through your mouth for purposes of examining your upper GI system. On the other hand, the tube goes through your rectum during a colonoscopy procedure for the purposes of examining your rectum and large intestines.
Before you can book your appointment with the best doctor for gastroenterology at the Gastro Star treatment center, here are some basic yet important things you should do before your procedure.
What to do before endoscopy
- Listen to your physician – Chances are that you were at a local health facility before being referred to a gastro doctor. Your doctor will definitely give you advice on what to do and what not do before, during and after any gastroenterology services.
- Clear your system the night before the procedure as per your physician instructions.
- Do not eat or drink after midnight.
- Do not take any medication before your procedure.
What to do before colonoscopy
- Clearing your system is paramount. On the 3 days before the procedure, eat light meals only.
- Stick to low-fiber foods, lean meat, eggs, pasta, rice and cooked vegetables.
- Refrain from fatty foods, raw vegetables, whole grain, seeds and nuts.
- Drink lots of fluids the day before your procedure. However, ensure that you only take clear fluids.
- Take laxatives the night before your procedure to clear the digestive tract. Once the laxatives kick in, serious diarrhea and bloating are to be expected, so stay close to the bathroom.
- Do not eat or drink anything during the four hours before your procedure.
A final point to note is that these two procedures are not easy. Your overall wellbeing is important before, during and after any gastroenterology services or procedures. It is for this reason that all patients who are scheduled for either of the procedures at Gastro Star are advised to have a licensed driver who can drive them to and from the treatment center.